Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Spring Fling Round Robin


I'm a little bit stressed about joining another quilt swap-- this time a round robin because I have a lot of things going on this spring: both kids' birthdays and parties, a trip to the Netherlands in April, various spring holidays, starting my first garden, many baby gifts to make etc. I decided to commit to the swap because it challenges me to think in different ways (for example, this swap is all about adding borders and with this I have little experience so I will have to keep my eyes open for inspiration) and helps me to feel part of a crafting community. I really enjoyed the Four Seasons Quilt Swap (though I felt rushed!) and well, my kids will just have to raise themselves!

To get a head start, I made my first quilt block tonight. It's not due for about a month but I know I have all of those other things coming up. If only I could have been this timely when I was in school. I thought about what I wanted to make for a few days and then headed down to the craft room for some fabric inspiration and came up with this. I do enjoy being scrappy. Each of those fabrics means so much to me and I keep sneaking them into various projects. I had other ideas, such as using solids for the square border and embroidering circles on them. I never realized how small 8X8 can seem! The center square is 4X4, the white border is 1" and the pieced border is also 1". That makes 8X8. I have no idea how another person will receive this block, add a border to it and turn it into something quite different. I think I'm supposed to send along a piece of fabric in order to help the next person tie it in (if they choose) but instead I'm adding a bunch of the scraps I used so that they can either use them or send them to the next person. Just to help them out. This swap should be exciting!
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Not Lucy said...

Very cool center block. I am just home from a quilt retreat so I need to finish off the tops I got done and then I will get going on my block. This is going to be fun!

Kathy said...

Love your center! RRs are great to make us get our of our comfort zones and think "outside the box". I look forward to seeing everyone's center.

Anonymous said...

That looks fab, I love the fabric you have used in the centre. I sympathise with what you are saying about being busy, I am in the same boat, but I too couldn't resist this swap. I better get cracking with mine..!

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales said...

Beautiful bright colors! And that center square fabric is so very cheerful. It'll be interesting to see how this changes with added borders.

Luckybear said...

I'm with the rest of the group - I really love the colors. This is my first round robin, but the small size drew me in.

BTW - I left a comment in your post regarding "Yes We Can".

Nikki said...

Thanks for all the encouragement. I was worried this might be too scrappy. I can't imagine what the next quilter will do with it (and I apologize, in advance, if it's a hard block to work with-- this is my first round robin)! I just ordered a quilt borders book from the library so I'm excited to think about what I can do for my received block!