Friday, April 20, 2007

End of an era

I dismantled my quilting area. I took down the design wall and put away all the quilting supplies. There's no way I'm making another quilt before we move. I am leaving the sewing machine in the living room hoping that maybe I will be able to do SOMETHING, like make a skirt for T or fix her twirly dress that already has a rip in it from two wearings (thank you Target). I've made a ton of burp cloths for the baby so I'm probably done with that too.

The only quilting I might do is the grandmother's flower garden quilt http://nkdolin.blogspot.com/2007/03/new-spring-fabric.html which is all done by hand and basically fits in a ziplock bag. I definitely enjoy working on it and love that it is so low tech. It should take me years to finish it.

Lastly, a word about my crafting habits. I have a pretty short attention span. I have gone through many crafts-- from mosaics to scrapbooking to knitting to sewing to many other things. I used to have such a passion for mosaics and still have all my tools but can't seem to get excited about it at all now (although if you think about it, it *is* kind of like quilting in some ways). Quilting is very fulfilling and interesting to me for so many reasons so I hope this isn't the end. If it is I'm going to have to explain away a LOT of fabric to my husband who has NO IDEA how much I really have. Hopefully once I get settled in Madison and become comfortable with being a "mother-of-two" and find some time to carve out for myself (when, by fall? by winter? by spring?) I will pick it up again. If not, well, it's been fun.

No comments: