Thursday, October 16, 2008

What We're Eating: Winter Squash Sweet Potato Soup with Homemade Croutons and Truffle Oil


Longest blog title ever. As I mentioned in my last food post, we're getting lots of potatoes in our CSA share. This week and last we received both regular potatoes and sweet potatoes. Did I mention I don't like potatoes? Right. This soup was very good *and* it was made in the crockpot. Saute onions (1-2ish) and garlic (3-4ish cloves) on the stove and transfer to the crockpot. Add diced sweet potato (3ish) and diced winter squash (in this case, 2 small carnival squash from our CSA-- or was is hubbard squash?). Add broth (4 cups-ish) and some thyme, salt, pepper and rosemary (I don't remember how much, ok?). Leave it in the crockpot on low for 6-8 hours and then puree it with an immersion blender, leaving some larger chunks for texture. For the homemade croutons I just toasted half a sourdough baguette, diced. It was Ron's idea to add the truffle oil because we all know that truffle oil makes everything exponentially better.

This recipe is a genuine reflection of my cooking style-- all amounts are approximate. Especially with a crockpot-- just use what you have. I generally follow the ingredients of a recipe pretty closely the first time I make something but I always just use all of whatever vegetable I have. I don't use 1 cup of diced onion, I just use one onion-- or two. My philosophy on spices in more is always better. Obviously you could just make this on the stove and simmer it for 30 or 40 minutes. That would be fine too. I don't think using the crockpot gave this recipe any added flavor. What it added was the fact that I made it and *cleaned up* at 11 in the morning and only had to worry about making a salad at dinner time. And some roasted broccoli too I think. Or not. Recently all of our meals include a fall soup, a big salad and a roasted vegetable side. It's a great combination.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: