Monday, June 16, 2008

Sandhill Cranes in my neighborhood!



I love the entrance to my neighborhood. Everyday, often several times per day, I get to pass by this grasslands area that is home to many different types of birds. The prairie grasses change each week-- from purple to white to yellow. It really delights me and I usually drive by quite s-l-o-w-l-y. In the fall (or was it winter?) I saw a bald eagle there. I thought I must be crazy, because where I'm from bald eagles live only in the Grand Canyon or someplace exotic like that-- certainly not your backyard. I was so convinced, however, that I looked it up online and sure enough, there is a large population of them that visit a town about an hour from here. I was comforted to learn I wasn't crazy! A few weeks ago I saw a crane in the grasslands. Overjoyed, I told Ron and he nodded knowingly and said I must have seen a Canadian Goose. Luckily we spotted it together a week or two later when we were taking a family bike ride. I was vindicated! Then I got a post from the neighborhood association proclaiming the sightings as true as well as announcing that a baby Sandhill Crane had been spotted. Driving by the other day I saw the whole family of cranes just hanging out, presumably looking for food. I grabbed my camera and took a few shots. They are gorgeous and move gracefully. I can totally see how birdwatching can be extremely exciting. I see golden finches, little swallows, red-winged blackbirds and cardinals on a daily basis. Two days ago I saw a hummingbird. This is something I love about Wisconsin.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: