Thursday, May 20, 2010

CSA Week 2: Greens with Potatoes, Corn and a Fried Egg



One of the things I like so much about getting a CSA share is that it forces me to discover new recipes that become family favorites (and by family I mean only Ron and me). For example, Lentil-Rhubarb Soup has become a monthly staple in our house and I only discovered it because I wanted to use rhubarb without making dessert. Soy-Roasted Radishes, Grilled eggplant salad and Green Beans Gremolata all came out of necessity. This year we opted for a Spring CSA share as well as the summer share. The spring share has a lot of greens. A lot. I don't like bitter greens so much. I try to use them right away and am thankful they cook up from a huge batch into almost nothing. This week I took a recipe from the MACSAC cookbook From Asparagus to Zucchini and it was delicious. Then again, anything with a fried egg on top is delicious.

Greens and Potatoes with Fried Egg (recipe from book mentioned above-- this is from my memory...)

1 potato
onion
garlic
bunches of greens
corn
2 eggs

I sliced the potato and microwaved is for a minute or two to soften it and then I fried it up with regular garlic and the green garlic from the CSA. I added all the greens-- a bag of spinach and another huge bunch of... I don't even know what it was- the braising greens mix? I added a little water to wilt down the greens. Then I threw in half a bag of Trader Joe's Roasted Corn and some paprika. When everything was cooked through, I removed it from the pan and fried two eggs. This made 2 servings with a little bit of the potato and greens mixture alone for lunch the next day.

Here's what else I got in the CSA:
Scallions, one bunch
Easter Egg Radishes, one bunch
Braising Greens Mix, one bunch
Broccoli Raab, one bunch
Dill, one bunch
Green Garlic, one stalk
Elegance Salad Mix, one bag
Spinach, one bag
Kale mix, one bunch
Micro Greens Mix, clamshell
(Tatsoi, Pea Shoots, Carrot Greens, Beet Greens, Viola Flowers)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: