Wednesday, July 02, 2008

What We're Eating: Garlic Scape Pesto


We've been getting garlic scapes from our CSA for three weeks. The first week I just kept adding them to salads and sautes. The second week they sat in my fridge until the third week when I finally decided to make something with them. The pesto turned out to be delicious. I mean, add oil, lemon, salt, pepper and parmesan to anything and it will be good. The recipe called for spinach but I used arugula fresh from my garden. I served it over tortellini and spread some of bread as well. Talia ate it the first night (a miracle considering that while she eats pretty healthily she does not eat foods that have more than one ingredient in them at a time) and Alex ate some leftovers. It is fabulously lemony.

Garlic Scape Pesto with Parmesan (from the Vermont Valley CSA Website)

1 cup (packed) fresh spinach (I used arugula)
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 LB garlic scapes; use bottom part below the bulge. Cut into 1 inch lengths
3-4 T. lemon juice (I think I may have zested the lemon as well)
1 cup olive oil (I hope I used less but I didn't measure)
2 cups parmesan
1/2 t. salt (I'm sure I used more)
20 grindings of pepper

In food processor, put in spinach and walnuts; process until finely chopped. Add scapes and process again until very well ground and blended. With motor running, add lemon juice and olive oil. Scrape down sides and add parmesan, salt, and pepper; process briefly to combine

Makes about 2 cups, or enough for one full ice cube tray. Freeze.

Can use as a spread on pizza or bruschetta; toss with pasta, fresh tomatoes, and feta or mozzarella; stir into mayonnaise for sandwich spread or potato salad dressing.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: