Saturday, December 08, 2007

Cars Quilt


One of the projects I have been working on over the last few months. I couldn't post it because it was a gift for our friend Yoav. I used a small kit (the center of the quilt) and added the the extra border of squares, the red stripe and the striped outer border. Once again I was afraid to really "quilt" the top and opted for invisible thread and an "X" design in each square. This is the first time I used a pieced binding. I don't think it is that noticeable so I don't know if I'll do it again. Instead of using batting and backing I used polarfleece. While I don't think it came out great for this quilt, I would try it again. I definitely made this quilt too quickly. Luckily it came out better than it should have. I have learned some lessons and the quilt I'm working on now is getting MUCH better treatment-- I've never used my iron so much! Let's just hope I can get it done in time for the holidays... I've also been working on holiday pillowcases. They are fun and easy to make. I made a Hanukkah one for Talia and for a holiday gift. I made one for a birthday present and a cars one to go along with the card quilt. My mother in law bought me a serger for Hanukkah. I haven't received it yet and I'm a little intimidated but it should definitely improve my life! People always say I should market some of my creations. My pillowcases come out great and are so easy they might actually be marketable but... I hate the unfinished edges inside. A serger would fix that...

Lessons learned from the Cars Quilt:
1. USE YOUR IRON.
2. BASTE YOUR QUILT WELL
3. Take a risk and used colored thread for the quilting!
4. Don't ever use that blue fuzzy fabric-- it stretches!
5. Combining flannel and regular cotton works just fine.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: