Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Ancho Chili Shrimp or Chicken Street Tacos

In all the cooking I did last week, this was the best. It was so yummy! The idea came from Cooking Light but I had to make a number of changes. Ron doesn't eat shrimp and I don't eat chicken (it's real fun at mealtime in our house).

Ancho Chili Shrimp or Chicken Street Tacos

Ingredients:

chicken tenderloins, cut into bite sized pieces
shrimp, (I used frozen which I defrosted under cool water for a few minutes and took off their shells/tails)
chile powder, preferably ancho but any will do
garlic powder
salt
ground cumin
olive oil
grated lime rind
fresh lime juice
chipotle mayo
sliced avocado or guacamole
packaged angel hair slaw
sliced green onions
chopped fresh cilantro
corn tortillas

Preparation
1. Heat a large skillet over high heat. Sprinkle chicken or shrimp evenly with chile powder, garlic powder, salt, and cumin. Add about 1 tbl of olive oil to skillet. Add chicken to pan; cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently. Remove chicken from pan and squeeze lime juice over top. Same with shrimp. I don't recommend combining the chicken and shrimp.
2. Heat tortillas according to directions. I put them in a hot dry skillet for a minute or so and flipped them until they were golden. Remove from pan.
3. Spread a small amount (less than a tablespoon?) of chipotle mayo on the hot tortilla, add some chicken or shrimp, sprinkle with lime zest, slaw, green onions and cilantro. Add a dollop of guac or fresh avocado. ENJOY. and I mean that. ENJOY!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: