Tuesday, November 25, 2008

What We're Eating: Asian Trio of Stir-Fried Bok Choy, Asian Slaw and Sesame Noodles


I got bok choy over the summer and made this recipe and served it with a pan-fried hoisin noodle cake (way more trouble than it's worth!). I saw baby bok choy at the first indoor farmer's market this season so I made it again, this time with an Asian slaw and sesame noodles.

Stir Fried Bok Choy (modified from A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen by Jack Bishop):

1 medium head of bok choy, stems separated from leaves, large chop (I used a bunch of baby ones this time)
1/3 c water
4 tbl hoisin sauce
2 tbl rice vinegar
fresh pepper
1 tbl peanut oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbl ginger root, minced
salt and pepper

1. Combine the water, hoisin, vinegar and pepper
2. Stir fry the bok choy stems in oil for two minutes. Add the garlic and ginger for 30 seconds and then the bok choy leaves along with the hoisin mixture for about 3 more minutes. Season to taste.

Asian Cabbage Slaw (modified from Farmer John's Cookbook by John Peterson):

I actually used a bag of pre-shredded slaw-- I think this one was actually shredded broccoli stems with carrot and red cabbage. I added the red onion. The recipe calls for:

2 c shredded cabbage
1/3 c grated carrot
1/2 c minced red onion
2 tbl fresh mint (I used dried)
2 tbl fresh cilantro
2 tbl rice vinegar
2 tbl peanut oil
1 tbl rice wine
2 tsp honey
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
salt and pepper

1. Mix the dressing well and then toss it with the combined vegetables.

A side note: When it comes to seasonings I generally believe more is better. For something like this I might use more rice vinegar and honey and maybe a little more toasted sesame oil. I try not to use too much more oil but I like big flavors, so I generally up the vinegar or mustard or whatever gives a dressing it's tang.

Sesame Noodles:

I used this recipe. I added more cayenne, omitted the sesame seeds (just lazy) and pretty much tripled the recipe since I used closer to 1 lb of pasta, not 1/3 pound. I mean, come on, how many people will 1/3 pound of pasta feed?
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Kim said...

I'm trying to grow some fresh herbs this year now that we're settled and not doing so much traveling. I didn't know if you're familiar with the food blog Tigers and Strawberries? She has a lot of vegetarian dishes on her site, and she's big on promoting the use of locally grown and produce food stuffs. She does some quilting and crafting when she has time, too. If you're interested, check her out at tigersandstrawberries.com
I'm hoping on my next trip to the states I can get down to Ohio and eat at her restaurant.
Anyway, enjoying your blog and will be back!

Nikki said...

Thanks!