Saturday, June 09, 2007

My Life for a Garage









I'm thrilled to have a new car that comes with a clicker to unlock the door, considering I lost the clicker to my old car three weeks before Alex was born. Those few weeks of no clicker sucked. So I should just be grateful, right? No, I will still complain about how hard it is to put two kids in a car. All I want in life is a garage.

If I had a garage my life would be so much better. How in the world do people in this city manage with two kids? What am I supposed to do if I have groceries to bring in (along with the diaper bag, pool bag, baby bjorn etc.) plus the two kids. Do I leave them in the car, put the groceries in the door, and then go park and take them out? Taking them out involves holding Talia's arm with a death grip so she doesn't get run over and then praying that she stays on the sidewalk so I can go to the other side of the car and take Alex out with that cumbersome and very heavy car seat and then walk half a block or more to get them into the house. I'm lucky in that I usually get a decent spot near the house. If I had a garage, at least I wouldn't worry about their safety and I could leave some stuff in the garage (like the pool bag or the diaper bag or the non-perishable groceries) instead of having to bring it in right away.

The other fantastic aspect of the garage is that I'm hoping it will help me deal with some of the messiest clutter in my house. Who else has to keep their garbage and recycling IN THE KITCHEN for an entire week? We use the shed for the garbage but we have to go through two padlocks to get to it and going outside, at this time of the year anyway, brings in tons of dirt to the kitchen. Other things I hope to keep in the garage that currently are kept in my living or dining rooms: Ron's bike. balls, frisbees, ride-ons and other outdoor toys. beach and pool toys. car toys. beach chairs, lawn chairs, the pool bag and pool towels, strollers! cleaning supplies, water bottles, snow boots etc. I work so hard to hide all of these things in my house behind the couch, in a hidden corner of the dining room, in the foyer for everyone to see. I can't wait to have a designated place for them.

No comments: