Saturday, August 12, 2006

it's a boy/ it's a girl quilt


Finished a new quilt last night. I think I have somewhat of a manic personality. I get into certain projects/ art forms/ craft genres and the next thing I know, it's all I want to do and all I can think about. I might be having a conversation with you, or be working, or playing with my daughter and the only thought I have is: I want to be quilting/ scrapbooking/ sewing/ cooking/ reading/ making mosaics etc.

My thought process goes like this: Hi husband/ daughter/ friend, how are you (I want to be quilting). Oh that's good. Yeah the weather is fine (quilting). No I don't know what I'm making for dinner yet (quilting). Yes, the political situation in the middle east is getting worse and worse (quilting-- or reading or cooking or whatever).

New things I learned while making this quilt: rotary cutting, matching seams and binding. Rotary cutting makes it a LOT easier! I always felt like the blade would slip before. Now I just take my time and press really hard. I never understood what matching seams meant and now I think I do. Duh. Now all my points/ seams/ alignment can match. I never made bias binding (or any binding) before. Being a self taught sewer means I have to figure a lot of stuff out myself. I think both my new techniques will come in handy! I didn't line the quilt with anything-- it's just two layers of thick flannel. I've never seen a kid carting around a "lovey" that was very thick. It needs to be pliable and crushable. I'm not saying that I think this will be the lovey the kid picks but I can hope.

I was also hoping the quilt wouldn't be too cutesy but I think it is a little too much. Hopefully the receiver of this quilt will still like it. She's not a "cutesy" kind of mom. Don't know if the baby is a boy or girl. I think it will work ok for both, at least for a while.

No comments: